Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread

Amish Friendship Bread
friedship bread

A friend of mine gave me a friendship Bread a few days ago. If you don’t know how it is, I will tell you.
My friend gave me a bag with bread dough inside it. She wrote the date that she made the dough on the bag so I could keep track of the recipe.  Basically we keep the bag for 10 days, following the instructions on the recipe and on the last day  you will need to add all the other ingredients and it will be ready to be baked. Here is the recipe in case you want to make some. I add a bag of chocolate chip to my and it tasted very good. If you want more Amish recipe, here is a good cookbook to buy!


Today was the baking day at my house. I have 2 bags of Friendship bread, which makes 8 cakes. Yes, you read it right, 8 cakes!!!  I decided to make the first cake of the day with Lucas. I knew he would like to help me, he is a very good helper, but I did know that we would have so much fun and such a great time together.


He helped me count the eggs, mix the ingredients, and pour the flour into the bag… He is the best helper ever!!! He is learning how to count; yes I know he is only 16 months old that is why I am saying that he is learning it, so I got the eggs and told him that we need just 3 and asked him to help me to count it. He started looking to his hands and counting his fingers while I was pointing to the eggs, he is so cute!!!
Well, he not just helped me today, but he learned a little about math, new vocabulary words, how to follow instructions and the best of all, had a great time!!!


After all that work he took a well deserved nap. While he was taking his nap I baked all the other 7 cakes and froze it. (My friends will laugh when they read it; I well know for freeze everything!!!)


To finalize our activity we had a picnic at our backyard. The weather was great and the cake even better, but best of all was Lucas face eating his cake!!!


4 comments:

  1. Friendship bread, what a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that??? I love when my son helps me bake. They get so into it! What a good little helper! :)

    And thank so much for the comment/follow you left on my blog! I am unable to sign into GFC right now, I added a thread to MBC explaining it (the drama is with my account, not yours) so as soon as I can sign in, I will return the follow! At least I know where to find you now!

    Look forward to blogging with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love friendship bread. I definitely need to get a batch started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some Amish Friendship bread starter going right now. I'm hoping to make it tomorrow. I love the idea of baking it in the small square baking dishes.

    ReplyDelete